No products in the cart.
Kingspan Aluminium Foil Tape – High Strength, Flexibility, Conformability
Kingspan Aluminium Foil Tape is a fire retardant reinforced aluminum foil tape providing a vapour seal join in aluminium faced insulation products, such as Air-Cell Retro-Shield and Insulshed. Designed for use in the insulation and air conditioning industries, Kingspan Aluminium Foil Tape is pressure-sensitive for exceptional adhesion and has early fire hazard properties. The nature of the backing gives Kingspan Aluminium Foil Tape a rare combination of high strength, flexibility and conformability.
- Install the Kingspan Insulation products taut and without significant sag or ‘slack’.
- Use a minimum 72 mm (for commercial and retrofit buildings) or 48 mm (for residential buildings) wide reinforced foil insulation tape for sealing joins.
- Ensure that the surface to which the tape is to be adhered is clean and free from any contamination such as dust, dirt, oil or silicones. If uncertain, clean surface with a clean rag and
mineral turpentine, then wait until dry before applying.
- Ensure that the tape is centred on the join so that there is equal coverage on each side of the join.
- Use a plastic squeegee or blade to apply adequate pressure to the tape – the more surface contact is achieved the better the result.
- Follow the contours of the substrate. Do not pull the tape taught or try to flatten the contours out with the tape. Let the tape relax into and conform to the irregularities of the
surface, then rub down. When the tape has been applied with adequate pressure it should be seen to follow the contours of the insulation and the texture of the insulation facing should be visible through the tape.
- When sealing angled joints in longitudinal direction, apply the insulation foil tape in short sections to one side of the join. Using a blade or squeegee, rub it down as far as possible into the corner and then apply to the other side of the join.
Helpful Hints for Applying Aluminium Tape
Taping of joins in Kingspan Insulation products is a means of sealing the join only and is not a substitute for mechanical fixing where there may be stress or pressure on the join. Where there
is stress or pressure on the join e.g. wind loading, a more secure means of securing the join must be investigated, as insulation tape alone may not be sufficient. Where it is difficult to apply sufficient pressure on the tape, apply a 25 cm long piece of tape across the join at 1.0 m spacing. Where possible, the length of the tape used should not only cover the length of the join, but continue around the next edge to provide an ‘anchor point’.
If possible, arrange joins adjacent to a hard unyielding backing surface so that maximum pressure can be achieved when applying tape.
When taping Kingspan Insulation products, a plastic squeegee or blade must be used to apply the appropriate pressure to the foil tape. Apply pressure as the tape is being rolled out, rather than after the application, to achieve maximum adhesion, following the surface contours of the Kingspan Insulation products. Do not try to flatten the contours out with the tape. Let the tape relax into and conform with the irregularities of the surface, then rub down. Care should also be taken to ensure that the material joined by the tape is not liable or subject to movement. Movement of the two surfaces joined by the tape can create excessive pressure on the join and can lead to tape failure. These tapes are not to be used as mechanical joining devices. Surfaces must be free of dust, dirt, oil, silicones or other contaminants prior to taping. If uncertain, clean surface with a clean rag and mineral turpentine, than wait until dry before applying.
For complete information on the full range of Kingspan Products, visit their website.